26 Jun Why You Need Minimum Effective Dose….
Another key principle we have optimized with our clients is the MED.
Minimum Effective Dose….
It’s a clinical concept that’s used in medicine, for example how Doctors ‘prescribe’ medicine. Based on the unique needs, case, history and desired outcome based on each individual. Frequency, dose, timing, extended days for treatment all play a role on the final ‘prescription’
It also represents the effect of diminishing returns.
More is not better, better is better.
This way, you don’t waste time, effort or energy on getting more of something, if it’s not more effective.
So you can spend more time ie: output invested in optimizing and improving other areas.
“To boil water, the minimum effective dose is 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius) at standard air pressure. Boiled is boiled. Higher temperatures will not make it “more boiled.” Higher temperatures just consume more resources that could be used for something else more productive.”
Specifically related to your fitness and fat loss, getting leaner, stronger or ‘better’, here are a few examples.
- More workouts doesn’t mean more weight loss.
- More sleep doesn’t mean more energy
- More Vitamin C supplements doesn’t mean better immunity.
- More protein doesn’t mean fast strength gains.
- More coffee doesn’t mean more focus
- More time on your computer doesn’t mean greater productivity.
- Longer meetings doesn’t mean more productive meetings
- More corporate training doesn’t mean effective learning and transference.
- You will probably find shorter, more focused work keeps you more productive.
For example, my magic productivity window is 30 mins of focused work time, 5 minutes movement. That’s the power combination and MED for productivity.
To stay lean and maintain my strength, my MED for Body composition and fitness is:
3 x 20 minute strength sessions a per week.
2 x 5 minute intervals.
For my nutrition and the rest of the article, head over to full article.